Monday, May 10, 2010
Letter to Commissioner MELO of COMELEC
First of all, congratulations for pushing through our first automated election. Your resolved results in the first real QUICK RESULT in the history of Philippine election. May I suggest the following for our next election to be more efficient:
1. The PCOS machine should be distributed to the local COMELEC branches two-weeks before election. They can utilized monasteries, seminaries, churches, mosques as temporary warehouse guarded by PNP or by the Military.
2. The memory card should be distributed one-week before election to the local COMELEC for testing. Representatives from SMARTMATIC, accredited election watchers, political parties should be present as witnesses. The memory card should be sealed again and the boxes signed by the witnesses. Any defective memory card or PCOS machine should replaced immediately.
3. The Board of Election Inspectors (BEI) should be properly trained on the function of the PCOS machine, the system of voting and trained on time-motion techniques.
4. The PCOS machines and memory cards should be distributed to the precints 3-days before election and guarded by the PNP or military.
5. The list of voters should be posted in the precint two-days before election.
6. There should be express voting lane for senior people and physically-challenged.
7. Watchers of political parties and watchdogs should not be allowed inside the precint when voting is on-going. The BEI should be given power to expel them when needed. They will be allowed only when it it is time to print the precint result for them to act as witnesses.
8. The voters should show an ID when voting since the voters list contain no picture for proper identification. This should be checked by the BEI.
9. Setting up of PCOS and other election paraphernalia in the voting precint should be done a day before election.
10. On election day start at 6:00Am and end at 8PM. You may designate a special time for the elderly (6:00-8:00AM) and a special time for first-time voters (6:00-8:00PM).
Arnel L. Cadeliña